Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday Mom Confessions

Eek - I'm sort of behind today, which is fitting considering everything we've had going on lately.  I haven't publicly shared (so not even my FB friends know) that we sold our house and are moving.  It's not that I don't want to share, but up until today, there were too many "what ifs," and I didn't want to share the news and then have one or both of the deals fall through. But thankfully, the last 20 days of stress have been worth it and all is now official!  We're moving!  2 weeks from today in fact.  And I haven't really even starting packing.  So the next 2 weeks are going to be crazy, nuts, insane - pick your choice of words!  Exhausting is what I'm already calling it.

But anywho, onto the good stuff.  Since Easter was yesterday, I have a just a few Easter related confessions.

Confession #1 - Despite my {always} good intensions, somehow I always end up doing things last minute.  This year's Easter basket was no exception.  But that's not my confession.  Being just 2 days from Easter, I quickly dashed through Target trying to find the perfect basket {or my case, cloth organizing box, because all the baskets were sold out, and if I was going to spend the money, it might as well be useful - can I just say thank goodness 2 year olds don't know the difference!} fillers.  Mind you there was limited supply of just about everything.  And since I don't give my kid chocolate or sweets beyond an occasional treat, I had to get creative.  So as I'm standing in line, the mom in front of me has a whole shopping cart full of things and as she starts to unload it, it becomes abundantly clear it's all Easter basket related.  So when her total rang up to $150, I had a good {silent} laugh to myself.  $50 bucks a kid {I counted 3 baskets, so I'm assuming 3 kids, a yes, thank you very much, I know I am very nosey} is insane I thought to myself.  Until....my total came in at a $45 - for ONE little guy.  I wiped my my smug little grin and silently sent an apology out for judging another mom, even on such a silly thing.

Confession #2 - After said escapade in Target, I went home, and promptly put all the basket fillers into the closet, knowing full well I should have just put the basket together right then.  However, I didn't, and I forgot later than night and Saturday night too.  Come Sunday morning, wouldn't you know it, my little darling was already up and ready to eat breakfast before it even dawned on me that the basket was "ready." Oops!  I quickly pulled it together {again thank goodness 2 year olds don't know there is suppose to be fake grass and all that junk} and surprised him after breakfast.  Just another mommy fail here!

Confession #3 - So growing up Easter was always a time where my mother would dress our whole family in matching outfits.  My sister and I had matching dresses.  Mom's dress always matched as well.  And my dear father, bless his heart, went along with the game and always had a matching coat/shirt combo to blend with us girls {yes, he had every pastel color sports coat you could imagine, including pink}.  It is, after all, a very southern thing to do.  In my family though, well let's just say the Easter tradition is a little lost.  I do good to get my kiddo into a polo.  There's no way a shirt/tie/jacket combo is going to work.  And besides that, getting matching outfits takes planning - something that I obviously need to work on anyways.  So for us, we go to Easter service, looking pretty much like we do every other Sunday.  In the end, I figure Jesus doesn't really care what we wear, as long as we're there.  AMEN!

Confession #4 - Speaking of Jesus...let me just say, I love Easter and I love the real reason why we celebrate the season. To give thanks and worship what our Lord did for us in rising from the grave and overcoming death.  I think it's possible to celebrate both the real reason for the holiday and the "commercial" holiday {with bunnies and egg hunts, etc} without losing the meaning.  But what I truly don't understand are those folks who have such an issue with anyone, but especially Christians, being able to celebrate both.  I have a dear friend who honestly refuses to say "Happy Easter" or even acknowledge "Easter'.  They call it Resurrection Sunday and give Resurrection Baskets, but don't allow mention of bunnies, eggs, or any of the traditional Easter stuff.  I have no real opinion on the matter other than I simply don't understand it.  Can someone help me out here?

Confession #5 - So I have to say that during my first pregnancy I was pretty disconnected.  After suffering through months of morning sickness {and frankly wishing I were dead because it} I never gained that "maternal love" that mothers talk about.  I remember people saying "oh, once the baby starts kicking it'll be great!  You'll just love them even more" and I guess for some that was true.  But not me. In fact, it took me months after the baby was born to really feel connected.  And while it seems sad, all throughout my first pregnancy I really didn't worry much.  If I didn't feel kicks for a few hours or even a day, it was mostly a relief, and not really a reason to worry.  So the second time around, I wasn't sure what or how I'd feel.  However, what I've found that while I'm still not "connected" with my baby {I do think I'm just one of those people who needs to actually see him and hold him to bond} I do get freaked out far more than I did the first time.  Case in point - this child has been a wild one for weeks now.  I've been feeling strong and consistent kicks since around 20 weeks.  But this weekend this baby decided he was going to take an extended nap, despite the insane amount of sugar I consumed, and I have been on edge for 2 days now.  Thankfully, this little guy decided to finally wake up, but for a few hours I was a crazy Googling fool {bad, bad idea ALWAYS}.

I hope you're Monday is going well and you and your family have come down off the sugar high from the weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment