Saturday, January 28, 2012

When at first you don't succeed....

Keep On Trying
Originally loaded on Flickr byRed-Wagon 

I have admitted defeat....sort of.  I didn't see (or want to see) the chaos that was about to erupt as I rung in the new year.  I didn't anticipate I would be working 70-80 hours a week.  And I fell off the wagon, so to speak, when it comes to this blog.  But I'm getting back on.  And accepting that this happens to everyone.

If we all looking through our lives, it's probably easy to think of the things we let drop.  As mothers in today's hectic world we have to balance so much.  We have manage careers that ask more and more of our time, while still being a mother and wife, and all that comes with it.  I find that when I think about all the things I have to accomplish in any given day I get overwhelmed - QUICK!

How do I manage it all?

  • Set priorities.  Look at your life and what is MOST important.  This will help guide your to-do list and remind you what your focus should be.  For me, my list is: God, Marriage, Kids, Family, and Work.  
  • Realize how much time you have in a day.  There are only 24 hours in a day, at least 8 of those should be set aside to sleep.  As much as we'd like to add more hours in a day, we simply can't.  And accepting that and setting realistic expectations for what can and can't be done can help get your to-do list in line and less crazy.
  • Forget about all the "shoulds."  When I think about my list - I start with the things that I have to do.  The things I know have a deadline or an immediate need.  But then the "shoulds" start creeping in.  I should have call my friend.  I should have taken the baby to park instead of cleaning.  I should have done this or that.  But those are the things that make a reasonable to-do list unreasonable.  Letting go of the "shoulds" and focusing on the needs will help eliminate excess items on the list can overwhelm and distract you.

I'm learning everyday that it's an ongoing process that has to be revisited everyday, sometimes multiple times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment